Monday, November 2, 2015

Chapter 53: Computers Can Talk Too

Chapter 53: Computers Can Talk Too
After the shocking meeting with Carol, I insisted on meeting the next kid since her test afterward was classified. Frankly having someone observing your routine test is already a rare occurrence, it's not like anyone would willingly show their ability, even when I am an exception there are parts of your ability surely you want to keep it to yourself. 
            "What's the kid's name?" I asked the professor. 
             "His name is Dean Moose, unlike the kids, he came from out of the states and he's a shy kid so he doesn't talk much."
             Prof. Dalton stopped at one door and pushed the key code for it. The research building was a large building so I'm glad it wasn't far at back and didn't took look to get there from the entrance. However, the moment the door opened, I had wanted to go back without looking back. 
            "Ah, if it isn't Prof. Dalton....and Claudia as well, I see we meet again." 
             "And I'm surprised to see you here Dr. Ars." 
             Why is Dr. Ass here! 
             It's a good thing I'm good at holding back or I might've said that aloud. "We were just on the middle of discussing his routine test. Care to join us and share a few opinions?" 
            "Is there something wrong with our tests?"
             "Oh no, on the contrary, I thought I suggest some improvement to it so we could see more of his limit." We all turned toward where his eyes were pointing. Dean Moose was a small boy with bushy black hair and dark tanned skin, I could hardly see half his face because his hair was getting in the way. He was wearing short jeans and a green box patterned shirt. The boy was fidgeting a lot, most likely he was nervous around so many different people. 
                "His usual test usually involve drawing the internal structure of certain gadgets, giving orders to electronics goods and extracting encrypted information."
          "Then Prof. Ars, what part do you think we could improve?"
            "Firstly, we'll not only have him draw or describe the structure, we'll also have him learn how to mantle and dismantle them, moreover making him learn how to make one would be good or he could also learn to design his own software, and wouldn't it be interesting if we have him handle a robot or a transportation?" 
                Giving one advice after another, the other professor nodded intently at his words as if his words truly outweigh their own opinion.  His blue eyes turn toward the child. He came toward him which made him flinch at first but relax when he made a kind elderly smile. He was about to reach out to him with his hand, just before he did, I pulled away Dean to my side and excitedly ask him. 
             "Hey, so what kind of power do you have? They keep discussing how amazing you are but I still don't know what it is so I can't follow."
              Our face were close to each other so he jumped back with a blush face. How cute, he reminded me a little of Eric. "Ah, do you remember me from yesterday? My name is Claudia, nice to meet you Dean. So what kind of power you have, please tell me!"
             "Oi Claudia! Don't you know you're being rude!" 
             I cowered at Prof. Dalton's harsh voice, it was rare for him to raise his voice. It was true my act wasn't very appropriate. It still better than having him get close to this kid. That man is not to be trusted with anything. Still, to get him that mad, was I acting too childish? Somehow, seeing my past father getting mad got me really nostalgic but guilty at the same time. I don't feel I was in the wrong, even so, I had to apologize and back off or they'll make me instead. 
            "I can talk to computers." 
            Just when I was looking down in guilt, I looked up in surprise at Dean who was looking at me awkwardly. "I can communicate with any electronic device, connecting with them to grasp on their function."   
            I wasn't expecting for him to answer, so other than surprise, I was really happy. FINALLY, someone normal in this class. "That's so cool, you can actually talk to computers, that's amazing!" I expressed my honest feeling and it seems that made him smile a little. 
            I noticed though that he kept giving glances at my right pocket. There was nothing in it other than my phone so I was wondering why he was interested in it. 
            "A blue fox...." He muttered. 
            I'm glad I was the only one who caught what he said, I couldn't hide my bewilderment then and instinctively held my right pocket. He already had said he could talk with electronic device, but to think he could feel Zilla's presents. 
            For some reason his expression changed and made the same guilty face as I had before. Could it be....he thought he done something bad to me from that. Surely my impulsive action might have made him thought that way.  
             "I....did it again, did I?"
              He was saying something in a small voice but I couldn't quite catch it.   "Okay, I think it's time for Dean to continue his test, Claudia would you like to watch?" Dr. Ass....I meant Dr. Ars had suggested. He was smiling gently at the two of us which makes me annoyed more than I already was. "I would appreciate if I could do that, Dean do you mind if I stay?" I gave a forced smile at the doctor as I answered. Not only because I want to watch his every move, I also want to show Dean that I didn't particularly mind he peek at my phone. Besides, he might have done it accidentally. Dean eyes were wide opened to my words but nodded shyly. 
            We went to the computer lab, Dean sat at his seat. The rest of us stood as we watch over him. He turned on the computer and with a single touch, all the other computers light up as well. "Access to all computers are granted, connecting with the internet, Professor what do you want me to do now.?" 
            "Since we have a few guests today, Dr. Ars do you have something in mind?" 
            Dr. Ars closed his eyes and thought for a while, he then took out his phone and fiddle it before he made an interesting proposal.
           "How about we find a missing person?" He showed them a list of missing people wanted in the police force's  website. 
             "That's quite an idea Doctor, but don't you think having a child doing something what police still had hard time to do will be difficult? Besides we need permission from the principal if we ever need to examine their ability outside the extent of the school."
            "Technically he won't be leaving the premise of the school and with our supervision, we shouldn't be worried of having him doing something bad. Also, the police could only search through the streets surveillance or following their trails that they left bhind as clues. Why they couldn't find them is probably because they are in a place with not much electronic devices or people." 
            "Then how do you suppose he will find them?" The one man who kept questioning Dr. Ars way began to show irritated tone. Dr. Ars didn't mind, instead, he smiled as he answered his question. "Aren't we here to find that out, surely there's nothing wrong with that?" He said. 
             Dean looked a lot smaller sandwich inside a strain atmosphere. They decided since it was only to see what the kind of result it would bear, they agree to have Dean search for those people. 
            "Are you ready?" Dr. Ars asked him with his hand on his shoulder. I was really irritated seeing him that close to an innocent kid, it's like seeing a wolf massaging a sheep without its notice, since I don't have anything to go against him now I could only clenched my fist and kept an eye on him. 
            However, did I misheard him when I heard him say, "can I finally go all out?" 
            Dean took a deep breath as he was told the sites url and confirm the faces of the missing young to old people. There was a glint in his eyes that took a different look from him. All the computers in the lab started to show videos, photos, articles and various other information in the net at a high speed. 
            "Found one, a child match with the description of Corco Retizco, he is living with an old lady, she seems to have been bedridden at home on her own so he decided to stay there without telling anyone. I also found the woman named, Carly Jones, she lost her memories but working find at a diner. Found two more...no wait, three...."
               In only 5 minutes, Dean was able to find half of the people from the list when it took months for the police to find. All the people were shock but mostly at awe at Dean skillfully showcase his ability. Not Prof. Dalton though, he still had his poker face on. 
             "Next is—"
              Dean suddenly stop hid search and the room was silent from the sound of computers and their screen froze. It felt for a moment, time had stop for this room. Dean had a scared look, as if he had seen a ghost. Before his supervisor could ask what's wrong, Dean turned to him and his mouth quivering when he started to talk. 
            "Martha Xander, that woman, I think she was murdered." 
             The word 'murder' from a young boy put a dent on Prof. Dalton's stoic expression. He reacted faster than the other and turned off the computer. "That'll be enough for today, Dean don't tell anyone about what you find today, understand!" 
                Dean nod without answering a word. He watched the back of the professor who was discussing with a troubled look on their face. I watched all that had happened and wasn't sure how to react in the situation. I thought I should cheer up Dean who I'm sure is more troubled than the rest of us, but the second I turned to him, he was gone. 
             Where did he go? 
             I look back at the professor who were deep in their own discussion. I felt bad for Prof. Dalton but silently without warning them, I sneak out to search for Dean. Right now, I have a feeling I shouldn't leave him alone. 

#

It was a good thing he wasn't a fast runner. I had only begun to search for him and I found him already. I followed him until he stopped at a janitor office and went inside. 
             of all hiding place, why a janitor room?
             I open the door and there was a soft sob sound at the back of the room. He doesn't seem to have noticed me yet so I sat beside him with my back against the cold white wall. The room was small, but for us kids it felt average. The metal shelves store detergents and other cleaning tools giving the room a clean but unpleasant scent. 
              "I knew it… my ability brings nothing but trouble." 
               "Now why would you think that?"
               Dean stopped sobbing and he looked surprise to see me beside him. "It's better if you let it out, I'm not going to tell anyone." Dean kept silent at my advice, figures he wouldn't say anything to me. "I won't leave if you don't say anything." 
              At the corner of my eyes, I could see his wet eyes and his cheeks puffed from my words, he also doesn't seem he wanted to cry in front of me either. "My ability brings trouble to people, whenever I use it as I please, someone would always feel trouble because of me. Even though I just wanted to meet dad,  I didn't know I was doing wrong, they just look at me as if I was strange, I'm sick of it. I HATE THIS ABILITY!"
         "That's a waste, your ability is so amazing though."
              I showed him my phone that showed the same web page as what Dr. Ars had showed. Only this time, I showed him the detailed description written by the family. All of their words showed their concern and pleading about their loved lost ones, and hope anyone could find them. "You just gave more than half of these people's loved one a chance to be together again. You gave them hope." Dean looked at my phone for a long time as if clinging to it, his eyes were locked at the screen as he roll it down. 
            "You know, someone had told me before that we were given power for a reason, it might not give us an unwanted life. What you did back then though was something anyone should be proud of and your ability is something you should love, otherwise you couldn't love yourself." 
              "That person also said since we were given something interesting, we should enjoy it instead of sulk all the time and I agree. All you need to do now is find joy in what you do."
             I look back at Dean and saw he was staring intently at me. It might have been my imagination that his eyes were twinkling. "How do I love my ability?" He asked innocently. 
             "Why are you asking me?" 
             "Well, since you're the one who said I should love my ability, then shouldn't you have some idea?" 
              Hey, don't push the responsibilities on to me! I wanted to say that, but I can't say no to his expectant eyes directing toward me. "You…could…aim to be cyber police! Wouldn't your ability be really useful catching bad guys that do bad stuff in the internet! Or if you control things like nano bots, don't you think that would help in internal surgeries? That way, a lot of people would also be happy because of you."
            Dean then turned quiet and his brows were knit. "Okay, I've decided!" He said that and walked out in a hurry with new energy and I couldn't help but follow without knowing what's one his mind. 
            Oh well, it seems everything is solved just fine. 

#

"Yes, that's right. I've already transferred the money so I request you do the job right."
            "We've been business partners for years. Haven't we always done our job to your satisfaction. However, I'm curious… why a school? I have to admit that the school has many state of the art facility but it's all something you already have in hand. Moreover, there aren't many noteworthy esper there unlike in other cities like California and D.C."
              A smile started to creep on his face, he has no obligation to answer but the excitement couldn't held his mouth shut. "I just find a very interesting specimen, that's all."  
              "Hey wait–"
               Ars cut him off just as he arrived at the front of his hotel room. He came in, turn the lights on and opened the fridge to take a can of beer. Other than that, he also took out a jar. He took his beer and the jar to his bed and turned the TV on. There was nothing new or interesting on the TV so he turned it off and turned his attention to the jar he brought. The jar's surface made it hard for him to see the inside from being too long inside the fridge. He carefully wiped it off and smiled like a young boy seeing the wrinkles of the brain that he thought as art. 
            The brain itself was one of his prize possession of a rare 'specimen' he once acquired.  He treasured it ever since. However, that prized brain of his was then thrown against the wall, following a loud crash. His mind was occupied with the a certain girl's eyes. 
            Without a doubt that girl saw him as a threat. After their first meeting, he knew she was on her guard but what curious him more was what she saw in him for her to act like that. Lighting up his interest more and more. 

            "Let me see what you're capable of, dear Claudia."

-------------------------------------

The last chapter was an early chapter to commemorate the 10000 page views   hits.  

This is this week chapter, enjoy!
           
<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                          NEXT CHAPTER>>>

13 comments:

  1. I miss the albino guy :c give me romance! I demand satisfaction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patient my boy, there'll be romance when the time comes. Her love life will not be that simple

      Delete
    2. but isn't she like 9...or are you sayin that theres gonna be a love triangle??

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had that power, anyway, thank for the chapter!!!!!XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome :) a power to talk with computers, who would want that?

      Delete
  4. Claudia is in danger! Watch out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. -he cane from out of the states and he's a shy kid so he doesn't talk much.
    came
    -He turned on the computer and with a single touch with it, all the other computers light ip as well.
    He turned on the computer and with a single touch, all the other computers lit up(or use 'turned on' which I think is better) as well.
    -Why they couldn't found them is probably because they are in a place with not much electronic devices or people.
    find
    -Then how do you suppose he could found them?
    will find

    I thinks there's more errors but I'm a little tired, so the ones above are the most obvious to me right now.

    This Ass, I mean Ars is the ones behind the abductions in the previous arc isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly I'm in a rush with this chapter, and whether Dr. Ass (I like calling him that) is from the previous arc I leave that to your speculation

      Delete
  6. Stranger danger!! also this chapter doesn't have link buttons to previous or next

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    See, he is dangerous...
    ~~…

    they left bhind as clues. 
    they left behind as clues.  ???

    suddenly stop hid search 
    suddenly stop his search  ???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hii Marisa ��

    ReplyDelete