Monday, October 26, 2015

Chapter 51: Déjà vu

Have you ever heard of Déjà vu? It's the feeling of having seen something when you've only seen it for the first time. 
             That's the feeling I get looking at J. Foax. Certainly I would remember someone with his characteristic, especially his white hair would definitely ingrained in my memory. Yet why can't I remember? This really frustrates me. 
            I thought the most plausible explanation would be he was a person I met from the past life. Usually, I could recognize anyone instantly with just one look at their eyes. With Foax, I didn't have the same feeling as the others. 
             Do you have a hobby of looking at people or are you just a pervert?
            I was looking at him beside the professor, being in my line of sight what makes you think I was looking at you idiot. Instead of retorting, I ended up ignoring him and look away with distasteful look. Seeing me ignoring him, Foax pretended he never say anything to me and focused what's in front of him. 
            The kids in S Class were having their practical class. Normally, you would share the facilities with other class depending on the individual's ability and the professor would adjust the research accordingly. The S Class us said to have special privilege, but never would I have thought they would get their own building facility, including their own field. 
            Foax was put inside an empty room, the wall and floor were made of thick metals, putting off any sound or light from the outside. A complete isolated room. It was a place that Foax would be testing his ability. It's one of the standard test for most esper when dealing in a small isolated place to see how well their abilities fare. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed that the test was way too standard. Since he's  in the S Class, I would expect the test would be more.....unique. 
            "Foax, are you ready?" 
             Foax nodded and went inside before the door automatically close shut. I had only seen a glimpse inside, but was I seeing things that something attached to the walls were speaker? But what wouldn't make much sense. "What is he going to do there?" 
           "Inside the room, there is a dummy bomb, he'll need to disarm the bomb while being given instruction outside the room. " Prof Dalton explained. Just outside the room other than me an Prof. Dalton, there were Foax supervisor and few of other researchers aiding the test. 
            "That's not too hard for his level" I respond.       
            "Yes you're right, if that's all there is." Prof. Dalton pulled out a remote switch which he pushed. Although the room was made especially to block off any sound in or out, I barely caught the faint sound from the strong vibration coming from inside. One of the researchers put on a headphone and examined the blueprint of the dummy bomb. 
            "The point of this exercise, is for him disarming a bomb in a loud or disturbing closed environment while following instruction, all in a time span of 10 minutes"
             "10 minutes! Isn't that a lot shorter than the normal test?" Even if I can do it, the time would have put a lot of pressure 
             "That's the thing, he's not normal." It hasn't been 8 minutes but the door opened with blaring sound that gave unpleasantness to the ear. Prof. Dalton turn the switch off and Foax came out with unpleasant face. Are we done? He asked with his telepathy. There wasn't a hint of arrogant or pissed tone, just a casual question he asked to his supervisor. Weird thing was I was annoyed by that and I don't even know why. 
           Could I have felt he was hiding his true self, or did I plainly think of him of a bad person. As much as I want to know why, the feeling of hate just hinders me on getting to know him. 
            "Prof. Dalton, why did you bring me here to meet him first? He doesn't look like the kind that enjoys strangers around." 
            "Why–you say? Didn't you ask me to introduce someone who you could practice sign language with?" 
          I widen my eyes from his words, and I look toward Foax. "He's deaf? Then what's the speaker for?" 
            "There are many device that could disturb the wave frequency of the brain, this one is one of them that we embedded inside the speaker."
            "For a regular  test, that's pretty hard core. Also, I like to point out that he could just put his thoughts inside my head so what's the point of learning with him?"
            "Well, for one reason, he's the only kid who knows sign language, the other reason is....." Prof. Dalton made a great long pause as he sinks into his own thoughts. I had to pull on the end of his lab coat before he comes to his senses and turn down to look at me. "What's the second reason?" 
            "No, it's nothing–"
            It didn't sound nothing, but since the reason wasn't that important,  I didn't think of it much. I looked toward Foax again while considering learning sign language from him. He was being surrounded by the researchers, looking happy as they praise his progress. Foax respond with an obvious fake smile used to please the adults while looking down at them. 
            Wait, how do I know he'a faking his smile? I've never even seen him smile before. 
            Another strong Déjà vu hit me, as I'm wondering who he was. Why can't I remember him? It got me a lot more frustrated when I was on the verge remembering who he was, and yet it slip through my mind the closer I get to it. I wonder, do I have a memory I didn't want to remember? Or was I forced not to remember? Either way, as long as he doesn't cause trouble for anyone, there'll be no need for me to cause trouble for him. 
               "It's only to learn sign language, there's no need to feel inclined to someone you've only met." I encourage myself and let go of Prof. Dalton's coat and walked towards him. Just like him, I had a fake smile plastered on my face. "I have to admit, that was amazing! It's not easy to be so concentrated in such a difficult test." 
           Foax, looked at me with judging look. The frowned on his mouth was replaced with a smile and in my mind he said this to me. 
            Don't get close to me, your smile disgust me. 
            It was then I remembered his ability could easily let him read people's heart so approaching him while hiding my intention might not be a good way to start things. 
            H-O-W-E-V-E-R! Telling me I'm disgusting out of nowhere, just because no one can listen to you, do you think you could get away with anything you say, don't mock me! 
            Don't worry, I'm not smiling for you. Like a certain someone, I know how to save face in front of people. Your thought doesn't seem could have handle it as well as your ghost face. 
            You got some nerve talking to your senior  like that, has anyone teach you manners? 
             Senior?! The only seniority thing about you is your hair! Other than that, all I see is a brat. 
            A brat calling others brat, now that's new. You should try growing some more height before you call me that, brat. 
            Under all those the insults growing intense , on both our face, we never slip out from  our façade smile. I could hear the people around us asking among themselves what kind of pleasant conversation we have or how friendly we've become. 
            How blissful to not knowing anything. 
             Moreover, what's up with him?! I though he was just not interested in meeting people, but clearly he has unbiased grudge against me, otherwise he wouldn't have make such workout on my insults. Clearly that's one thing he knows we have in common. 
            Prof. Dalton came over and broke us up from our thoughts. He pulled me away as my time for today was over. Looks I won't get a partner in the end. Is this where my dreams end?
            No, it is not the end, it's just delayed. I'll have my way one way or the other. Besides, I'll just use this chance to get to know what people if S Class is like. 

#

Those were my thoughts yesterday, but I don't think I can think the same way now. 
            "You're joking right, isn't this going too far?!"  
            Say what you like, but this isn't my decision, it's ours. Since your a part of it, your fate should be clear by now. 
            "Don't talk lightly about fate!  No matter how you look at it, your just forcing your own judgement on him! How could anyone....any of you agree to this!" 
            The moment he looked down on me from his chair and saw the cold gaze he look at me with. I finally remembered who he was. A memory of when I started to stain my hands with blood. The memory of the man who brings awe and fear to his enemy and allies. The man who failed to save his brethren. The man who hid his scar with a mask. 

             The man who gave me his heart and I had refused. 
             The man who killed for my sake and died for mine. 
            The one man I was too ashamed to see in this life. Because of the things I did, and the things I failed to do.


<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                         NEXT CHAPTER>>>

7 comments:

  1. is it me or im having a deja vu. fees like i read this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a read this before? Deja vu

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank for the chapter!!!! XD. I also think I've read this before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I thought you guys were messing with me, now I understood the joke

    ReplyDelete
  5. -Inside the room, there is a dummy bomb inside,
    I don't think the second inside is really needed.
    -I never even see him smile before.
    seen
    -It got me a lot more frustrate when I was on the verge remembering who he was,
    frustrated
    -Or was I'm forced not to remember?
    Or was I forced not to remember?

    Ooh... Former lover from her previous life?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    Ohoho...
    @_@...

    ReplyDelete