Sunday, June 28, 2015

Chapter 6: Magic and science

Hello, Claudia here!
As you may know, I am one of the victims from the mass witch hunt at the 17th century, reincarnated into the modern world. 
For that reason, it's hard to keep up from the common knowledge I've known before.
That's why words such as molecules, surfactant, carbon dioxide, enzymes, peroxide and such, are nothing but alien words. 
So I stashed away the books before overheating my brain. 
"It seems the knowledge of this era isn't something I could learn on the spot." 
I tucked my hand and mulled on the floor. Galbraith seemed to sense my stress and lay himself beside me. I don't have any snacks for you by the way.
For starters, I seem to have grasp some elementary stuff. One of those is that H20 are components of water. At first i was confused how 2 gas molecules could create liquid, but i decide i should question details in the future instead. 
For now, accepting them might be the most hardest thing to do as it conflicts with what I know from the past. "Only time might help with that."
I rolled on the floor until my own face is facing the floor. The smooth floor felt cool and nice, I'm sure mom would get mad of me but right now I don't care.
Magic is divided into many branches: alchemy, enchantment, elemental, and void. 
            Alchemy is the use of specific ingredients and the injection of mana that magic user use to create such as the Elixir of life to bring back the dead. I should tell you the ingredients aren't something one is willing to risk,  and the soul must have desire to revive with the body still intact. 
Enchantment are use to create magic tools, very simple. 
Elemental is the spell to use mana to manipulate the elements of the world that are classified as: earth, fire, water, air, wood, and metal. To use it, you need to be able to understand the nature of those element to manipulate them. Magic user researched them thoroughly to uncover the truth of the so called the nature of element. 
The last is void magic that aren't categorized as the other three, because the nature of the spell is unknown, many could use but only a few has the capability to master it.
The use of magic are made in two different ways. One is to make a magic circle, the other is to use a chant. When using a magic circle the effect is permanent or can be used multiple times when injected with mana, that's why it's often used in enchantment. On the other hand, chanting is the use of magic by conjuring words, difficult spells uses long spells, but when mastered, it's possible to shorten the length of the chant, the effects are temporary but possible to maintain in a set period of time. Magic user usually use chanting as a means of emergency or merging the use with a magic circle to create a bigger effect of their spell. The reason it's more convenient to use the already prepare magic circle is the convenience of only needing to pour mana, some might even tattooed their whole body with magic circle to escape the inconvenience of chanting. 
I remembered the hard spartan training my master had forced on me.  It was hard but it felt great to master all four.  I've been able to wield many ancient and original magic easily since then that I made myself proud. 
However, when you think about it, compared to magic, the weapons and tools made in this era might be better. While magic is omnipotent, using it is a lot more tedious than weapons made nowadays and aren't easy to use because the need for strong concentration. 
The tools in this era on the other hand are easy for anyone to use if train and the power are comparable. If i use a stronger magic to overwhelmed someone like that, the time would be too long.  I thought about making a better magic tool, but I don't have the confidence it would rival much made another long heavy sigh, it seemed I had understand another reason why magic got extinct.
I look up from the floor, seeing the glass of water on the table that I had left. I thought about how I've used magic from a magic circle but not from chanting yet. 
I stretched out my hand toward it and at the same time transferring my own mana toward it, I wanted to imagine the water turning frozen solid by turning the temperature of the water colder. Instead i imagined the molecules clad together without letting it move and release the heat it had.
[Ice Block]
To my surprise, not only did the water turn ice, but the whole cup and its surrounding turn frozen solid. The time and range effect felt completely different from before. It's common sense to use elemental magic from the element available, but clearly the effects exceed from just a small amount of mana she had used, even the spell timing were faster. 

My brain starts to tick when i started to grasp the reason. "The use of magic is the use of mana by understanding the nature of things" and so I splattered a large grin on my face.

<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                                                         NEXT CHAPTER>>> 



3 comments:

  1. And so, a mad scientist/witch or perhaps mad magic scientist has been born into the world of earth(I think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really intresting few of magic. As in it is compatible with science!

    Thanks for the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    Mad witch scientist?
    @.@...

    ReplyDelete