Sunday, June 28, 2015

Chapter 3: Haunted Flame

“Claudy, say aaah~”
            “Beth, I can feed myself, I’m not a kid anymore!” I took the spoon from her and ate the chicken stew from my plate. In my past life, I live a simple life of a fugitive so the food were never as luxurious as I have now. Whether the homemade food, the takeout food, the convenience store food, or the fast food are all delicious that I feel nothing but bliss.
            Beth as always likes to treat me like a kid; she probably loves to act as a dependable loving sister, but the most part she just likes to pester me. That part of her never change since the past life, I got so much in trouble because of her. How nostalgic~
            “Claudia can perfectly feed herself, she’s not going to be spoon-feed forever you know” said Karen in a slightly cold tone. I currently have mix feelings with the eldest daughter of the family. In my past life, she was someone I would first confide with whenever I came in trouble since she was mature despite her age, and we had a lot of things in common that it wouldn’t be weird to say we were like sisters.
            Heck, now we’re literally sisters, yet somehow she has—changed.
            Well, I somehow understood that even when reincarnated doesn’t mean we possess the same nature as our past life. Since fate had somehow reunited us, if possible I want to get along with her. However, every time I tried to talk with her in a cheery tone, one look from her cold gaze was enough to make me whimper.
            She made the same gaze at Beth, but she doesn’t seem mind. In fact, she talked a lot more loosely with her but her tone strained whenever she talked or even mention me.
            WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU???
            “Hahaha, you’re so strict with your sister Karen, you never spoil your sister including Beth”
            “Really, I think I’m just normal. There’s no need to spoil her more than necessary is it, or else she’ll just grow up as a brat.”
            No, no, no, no, no, no matter how you say it, I can’t think of anything but strict. Is that how a sister should even talk? Yet my parents shrug it off as if it’s usual for her to say that. She’s only around 10 yet she’s very independent and never spoils anyone or even herself, are you sure it’s okay for leave her like that, mother? father?
            Galbraith barked and came over as if sensing my worry and tries to cheer me up as he leaned his head on my feet. Thank you Galbraith, you’re my oasis in this house! Karen’s expression soften seeing the Samoyed dog hiding beneath the table and stroke him playfully. Yes,, the only she let her guard down was the time she played with Galbraith. She gave him a treat from her plate which the dog took and ran off elsewhere.
            Oiiii, you just came for the food, didn’t you come to comfort me?!
            My complains could only resounded in my heart.
            I heard my father was a dog lover, so much he had three dogs before he married my mom. One was a Dalmatian named Rowling, the other is a Terrier named JK. He said he named it after the pen name of a famous author who told the story of boy who go to a wizard school. Sadly, Rowling died in an accident and JK died of old age.
            By the way, it seemed my father loves fantasy novel, I could somehow guess from his private collection book in his reading room. How should I say it, seeing my father in his late 40s would talk excitedly about fantasy adventured look so cute. You can’t help but love the man. It made me wonder how he would feel once he knows her own daughter is a sorcerer. Probably he would dance excitedly while asking to fly him with a broom.
            I think half way my conversation strayed away; anyway right now I’m trying to establish a way to connect with my sister. Should I use Galbraith, we both have soft spot in fluffy animals if my observation is correct.
            In the midst of my own thought, suddenly, a strong urge to run ran down my spine, I was barely able to think when I saw a gleaming red light that came from the kitchen. The others must have realized by smell when they’re expression changed, by the time they realized and turn around, I was screaming at the top of my lungs while throwing away the foods and plates as if they were obstacles.
            While I was in panic state, my parents rushed over to the kitchen trying to put out the fire. An alarm rang across the house and sprinklers from the kitchen went off. The fire quickly died out, but I was still in a numb state. My whole body was trembling, I thought my tear glands went numb as well since no tears came out no matter how much I want to cry. I didn’t know what I was holding on to, but I refused to let go and grip at it tightly.
            My family must have been calling me, but I could only comprehend noise around me. I tried looking up to them, but instead I saw the villagers who had torture me and drag me up to that stake. There were red glint in their eyes while they surrounded me, the ground was covered with flames and the sky was pitched black. What made it worse, I saw my farther, my friends, my master and those who got involved with me burned at the stake.
            I’m scared, I’m scared, I’m scared, I’m scared, I’m scared, I’m scared. Someone please save me, save me, save me, save me, save me, save me. My mind was a wreck until cold water was poured on my head, and my vision instantly cleared.
            I’m saw my the dining room and my family looking at me with a worried face including Galbraith. My mom was on the verge of crying and I loosened my grip but only realized I’ve been holding on to Karen’s shirt this whole time. I was scared what kind of icy glare she might throw at me so I hesitated to look up, but if I don’t apologize, she might hold me in contempt for that so I steeled myself to look at her.

            She was holding a glass of water in her right hand and gave me an indifferent expression, but then she gently caressed my head with her left and whispering repeatedly’ It’s okay, you’re safe’ her voice was so soothing, my heart that felt was racing against time finally slowed down. Having been washed by relive, I passed out at the spot. 

<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                                                               NEXT CHAPTER>>>

4 comments:

  1. This novel is amazing. I moved the part where the teacher read the story and all the kids cried. Will there be a fusion of science and magic later on

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's some typos here, farther should be father, and relive should be relieve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    --- Oiiii, you just came for the food, didn’t you come to comfort me?! ---
    Smart dog...
    XD...

    She still got her trauma with her, need to find a cure to it ASAP...
    T.T...

    ReplyDelete