Saturday, March 19, 2016

Chapter 76: Another Broken Character

I'm so so sorry everyone for my loyal fans that I got delay soo much these past few days, Life has been haggling me like a bitch, still is but I finally got a small breather

Here's the new chapter, sorry it's just one, and wish me luck on my past and upcoming exams because I really really need one right now.

Enjoy



I was silent for a moment before I started blinking, I rubbed the bridge between my eyes, digesting his words and swallowed my own before I could yelp in surprise.

            "You're at lost for words I see."

            "What do you think? I had just been told my 14 year old friend happens to be an undercover agent and I'm supposed to believe this?"

            "You don't?" he asked incredulously with his eyes observing my movement, as if testing me.

             I paused for a moment but I held back the urge to sigh since I've done it too many times today, "The problem is that I do believe you," can't blame myself after getting one surprises after another, I think I'll believe in anything by now. "Why the hell does the school have you?"

             He kept on plastering that annoying fake smile of his, knowing it annoyed me, as he explained. "Every school does, politically speaking, espers represents the country strength, the more espers we have, the more it'll reflect on the country’s strength, the actions of espers also can put the country’s reputation at risk as well. It's a no brainer that the government would put a failsafe when it comes nurturing abilities. Not to mention if there were crazy skills like Rick’s, that could cause problems if foreign countries or organizations knows and get the their hands on him."

               "You said you're a failsafe....what do you mean by that?"

               "Reason why a kid like me could become an awesome agent," I rolled my eyes but let him continue, "is because people that could nullify other abilities are recruited to be able to handle undercover missions in an esper community if it ever goes out of hand. Let's say a kid happens to cause trouble by using Pyrokinesis all over the school.  few many times with everyone failing to take control him then That's where I'll come in to subdue him and make sure he couldn't use his ability anymore, and that's only a minor case scenario."

                 I thought about the words between the lines, it would mean that the government had given him a job to track and pull out weeds before it starts taking spreading into society. A very dangerous job if you think that the scenario he shared was merely a minor one, the major ones could be much problematic. Moreover, if what he says is true then no doubt this guy has the skill; Nullification. I felt bits of his identity started to unravel, and unravelling him was never easy and never will I'm afraid. "And I just assume Nullification is rare seeing that barely anyone talks about it."

                "Ah but that's the point, in school or in public, we try to minimize the knowledge and the existence of it and the people that could use it. It's not a particularity rare ability but the government has rights to monopolize them with the cover of 'special training', 'government aid', etcetera."

              "So......what? Don't tell me you're one of those people where they found your ability as a kid, separate you from your single mother then brutally train and brainwashed to be an emotionless human weapon so you can carry out orders?"

              Dale widen his eyes at me before he scoffed and laugh, I wanted to chuckle along at my hyperactive imagination joke but then he said, "Two out of three, not bad," and silence beckon us as I blinked confusedly at him. Before I could ask any further, Stanley cried out for us to come and assist them explaining the rest of the story to the kids that's already been half explained by him and Rick. I grunted at the thought I had to play hero in front of them and drag my feet, but only after I eyed Dale giving him the slit eyes that seemed to speak 'this conversation isn't over' which he understood and nodded like I hoped.

#

I wasn't sure how many kids and preteen they are but I didn't wanted to count the many glimmering awed struck innocent eyes as they find their hero: Wonder Owl to save from the clutches of evil. Just how popular was that god dammed show!?

           Of course not everyone was convinced of my so called identity, but Rick must have talked to them seeing as they didn't protest and either silently observing me or plainly ignore. I made a silent sigh and put out an encouraging smile on them. "All right kids, I'm sure you all  more or less know that an eeeeeeeviiil organization has taken upon this school and wreck the peace of this city!" few people gasped and a few quivered, another few scowled in anger, "but fear not as I and my comrades had come to save you, you'll be led to them at some point of place and time where'll you'll be safe and free," almost all began to sigh in relief and their face brighten until a meddlesome kid had to play I-want-to-be-a-hero role by standing up and proclaiming himself to stay to help.

             My eyes twitched at hearing his heartfelt yet childish speech of doing the right thing or what not but I inwardly groan the moment more and more of them had second thoughts to stay and fight as they began to stood up. Somebody please switch places with me. Alas because no one could, my breaking point has reached its limit and I had to raise my voice, "THIS ISN'T A GAME!" all of them straighten their backs at my sudden harsh and raised voice. Rick eyed me with surprise as well and Stanley scowled beside me as he retracts his hands from my sleeve.

              I knew I shouldn't be too harsh but these kids need to know that fighting isn't as cool as they make it out to be in shows. I had enough playing the heartwarming hero. It's time I shattered their image of me. It made me even sicker seeing their determined happy faces, wanting to prove themselves as little heroes while doing the right and noble thing to do in their hearts.

                  Their face...reminded so much of myself of when I'm young. It made me cringe from repulsed.

                  "If anyone of you has the guts to kill then be my guess and stay, if not go and get the hell out before you become a liability or worst, dead because I can't come saving your asses every time you mess up or got unlucky." Dead silence fell on us, everyone was shocked at my harsh cold words that slashes their dreamy little world. They stared with moist in their eyes as they were about to break out crying but not wanting to make things harder on myself I eyed Rick a 'do your thing' look before he rolled his eyes and focused his ability on to them so they would be forced to calm down.

              There was a tap on my shoulder and I turned to find Dale. He whispered to my ears, "There's something you need to know," he said, he made a gesture towards the van. I made another look at Rick and rolled my eyes toward the kids, asking him to watch over them which he respond with a nod. God I loved doing those eye conversation and being understood. It was a silly thing to be giddy about but knowing someone understood you really makes me break into a smile.

             "So what is it you want to tell me?"

              Dale got inside the van and tilted his head, asking me to get in. I followed suit and the pile of unconscious men were still there, all neatly tied up. "My ability isn't just Nullification," my eyebrows twitch, partially a little surprised at him opening up on his abilities, but mostly confused why he started telling me this now out of all times. "I have three abilities transplanted into me so I can be an asset," those tense heavy words began to ravel my mind around his presence, my jaw must have dropped before I knew it when Dale made an amused smirk when he looked at me and continued. "My abilities are purely made to subdue espers, whether high ranking or not they wouldn't do anything against me and somehow those abilities help heighten my senses on people, letting me know whoever is an esper."

                Although I wholeheartedly feel a tinge of pain listening to him, I honestly don't know where this is going. "What's your point Dale?" I finally snapped.

               He turned his gaze away toward the bodies and pointed at them, "Those people are not esper."

              "Not esper....then how do you explain them tossing lightning and plants on us? That doesn't make any sense."

               "Probably the answer to that is this rings," Dale picked up one of the rings laid neatly in front of him. I noticed unlike the green hue I seen before, it was blue. "Think of the few abilities they just used, didn't it remind you of some people?"

             I crossed my arms and my eyes narrowed, thinking deeply of his words, their ability wasn't so much as rare but not common as well. I turned my vision towards the group of kids and a thought hit me. "They’re the same abilities as those from the kids....Dale you can't mean...."

             "That they made tools to make non-espers be able to replicate esper abilities? Yeah that's exactly my thought, kind of explains why they would go all the way kidnapping us when they're terrorist."

             I bobbed my head but still it took me a moment to realize the gravity of this fact. I wrapped my hand around my mouth trying to make sense all this. Terrorist....rings....mind-control....esper kids...why attack when high schoolers are not around, their abilities should be more advanced if they were mind controlled...age restriction...under-develop brain....or something we have that they don't.....something we have....something Rick and I don't have....something.....

             "In any case, you were lucky you had met up with Rick," he said after standing up, indicating he has nothing left to say. I cocked my head at his statement that seem to indicate something.

"Why do you say that?"

               "Well that battle before would have been more difficult if Rick had a limiter on, he didn't come to school using the new bracelets they distributed and was too lazy to ask for one." Dale said with a chuckle. It was at that moment I felt the missing gear in my head seem to have its place as things became to connect one way or another and my face lit up as a revelation has come to her but then changed to a scowl with a deep anger burning up inside me.

               "I see....that's how it is...I should have figured it out sooner....."

                Dale began to scowl with a look of concern at me for suddenly looking wide eye then turn pale and then seethe in anger the next. "What's wrong Claudia?"

               I looked at his worried face and I began to ease the strong silent emotion welling up inside me, "something I'll tell you after we get the kids to safety. I think I figured out how they could manipulate espers so easily." Before I could let Dale question further, I turned my heel to go back to the group. A question that popped from my interest came and I face Dale not knowing he'll even answer. "By the way, what's this ability of yours that you have?"

             Dale began to put the same smile, childish yet seemed to hide something in it, and answered nonchalantly, "Well other than Nullification that you figured out, I have an artificial ability that wipes out people's ability from their brain, maybe cutting them off should be the right way to put it. Then I have the Steal Ability that lets me take away their ability and put it on another person though sadly I can't use the ability I've stolen."

               I paused and stood where I was, letting Dale walked passed by me and left me in disbelief. "So you could nullify, erase and steal abilities and as a bonus you could sense and give out abilities? You're just as broken as Rick!"


8 comments:

  1. good luck in exam.... you can stop sending chapters until your exam end you know. we all can wait for it. after all, RL and exam is more important than this. but thanks for the chapter and may you get good grade in exam paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chapter!! :D been waiting for this!!

    PS. good luck in your exams!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look who calls other people's abilities as broken lol.
    Anw, good luck with the exam. Hope you pass it okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im here just to comment no time to stay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally caught up but I'm left with a cliffhanger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Werent you the editor? Btw what happend with marisandini? Did she die?

      Delete
    2. I was. I stopped because I was too busy. And I haven't had contact with her for a long time. I'm guessing it's probably the same for her. Exams, etc.

      Delete
    3. I was. I stopped because I was too busy. And I haven't had contact with her for a long time. I'm guessing it's probably the same for her. Exams, etc.

      Delete