Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Chapter 65: Lost Bond

Back To The Past!

Enjoy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Numerous soldiers surrounded, a giant 6.5 feet tall man aiming at me with a spear, two civilians were at my back waiting to be cut down, and worst of all my magic is ineffective against their silver armour. Despite all the odds against me, the smile I had did not leave me.
            "If you're in a really bad situation, and I mean a very bad situation, then make sure you smile."
           "Master I don't understand, so if I'm going to die...I should smile?"
            "Yes, if you want to know why there are two reasons"
            "Which is...."
            "One, if you're going to die, laugh at your stupidity for getting into that mess."
            I gave off a dry laugh even though I knew he wasn't kidding. "What's the second reason?"
            "If you want to live despite that, then smile, it helps to think optimistically, and you'd be surprised what an optimistic mind could help with."
            "In other words, you want me to bluff my way out."
            "Pretty much, yes."
           It was strange that a conversation with Master surfaces under these circumstances. It reminded me that I'm currently in a pinch, yet the smile came about so naturally. "I'll make it out, somehow..." I whispered to myself, but honestly I'm wishing for a miracle right now.
            Even with me being surrounded, no one dared to make the first move. I'm sure they don't want to excite a cornered witch, it somehow gave me time to think but who knows when time will start moving for us. However, the Archbishop felt impatient and began to yell at his guards for my head. He even told them they'd get the bonus for the one who cuts my head off. Time began to move as they all yelled and ran in the same direction as me. I kept my position, still thinking what to do until I felt a cold wet sensation hitting my nose. I knew in that millisecond, rain was about to fall.
            It felt like a miracle did fall on me, because then I knew I was going to survive.
            I threw the sword I stole at one person which would make a gap in this barricade of people. The sword landed perfectly in the gap of his armour, hitting his armpit. I utter my spell that created a high pitch vibration in the air, slowing the soldier’s movement. I dashed for the gap without missing a beat and followed up with a spell that summons fog. It was a slow spell so it wasn't my first choice for buying time, but hopefully it was enough time for this one spell, I'm going all out.
            [O water, I ask to stop your time, gather your force. Let no one pass you by and cage your enemy within your spirit.]
            It was a long spell but if I wanted to live, I can't be picky of my options. In a matter of seconds, the light drizzle had turned into a downpour. Water droplets turned into ice before it hit the ground, and then just as fast as the rain fell down the sky, the tiny ice droplets began to pitch together, forming an ice layered dome, surrounding parts of the foggy stage.
            Even if I can't use magic on them, at least I can use magic around them. Since I specialize in fire and ice magic, there's little chance they could get out while they’re still blind to their surroundings.
            [Ice Cage]
            I took out my yellow magic stone and after activating it, the magic circle on it enlarged, shimmering with a red and blue color, summoning the couple from inside the dome. The Mayor looked around in confusion but when he spotted me, he immediately looked wary. I'm guessing he would jump on me if he wasn't holding his wife in his arms. She looked quite exhausted mentally and physically, and in her hand was the yellow magic stone I secretly passed on to her, steadily reduced into yellow crumbs after it was used. I was about to tear up at the loss of another stone and in my heart swore that I'll search for a way to preserve magic stones after using them numerous times.
            "You Slimy Witch, what do you want from us? Haven't you and that blasted government dog had enough torturing this town?" Growled the mayor.
            I rolled my eyes at him but not wanting to waste time I warn him, "rather than arguing, hurry and get your wife out of this town, you two don't have any place here so find one on your own."
            The Mayor looked surprised, not only did his eyes widen but his eyebrows rose as if it were about to jump out and his mouth was slightly open, showing the yellow teeth he had. He was a chubby mayor with a big head that sank his neck to his clothes, yet now he looked like he had lost half his weight.
            I turned toward the wife next, she looked the most exhausted but I knew she was still conscious, "AND YOU!" I said pointing out to her, "I may not know the horrible experience you had after being convicted as a Witch, but now that you're free don't ever think of giving up your life, not when another life is living inside you now."
            Just after I said that, the light in her eyes glimmered with life like a fire being lit, she must have felt guilty and glad after being given a reason to live. She held her tummy with tears streaming down like waterworks along with her husband. She held his hand tight and told him, "I want to live" over and over again. Her husband made a slight smile and kissed her on the forehead.
            Great now that's one probl---
            A great pain came through my right hand, the heat and stinging came all too suddenly, and when I saw the loss of my hand, I screamed so loud, the entire town could have heard me. Blood flowed out quickly like waterfall, I could see mu hand laying at the corner of my eyes with my bracelet. I crunched over from the pain and saw slightly from behind the full armoured man coming closer toward us.
            I cursed countless times in my heart, to think he had slipped away from my spell. Even though I told myself I should be wary of him the most and I let my guard down.
            Strangely this situation reminded me of the exercise I had with my master this afternoon and that made me even madder at my repeated faults. Not just being cornered, but also the fact that I used up all my mana.
             Looks like I can't even smile in this one.
            I looked at the couple that had a horrid face. "RUN!" I yelled at them fiercely, knocking some sense into them as they stood to their feet and ran as I had told them to.
            Pain was still coursing through my hand and it put me in an awful position, I tried to bear with it as I kept my breathing steady. When I noticed the shadow on the ground becoming bigger.
            "Any last words?"
            His deep voice reverberates along with his iron mask, I shuddered as I felt the cold metal beside my neck, waiting to take my neck off.
             "Yes, there's one thing" I said softly without much strength. "You don't know what I'm capable of."
             The armoured man would have finished me off if he wasn't so observant at the shadow that still grew larger under him. He looked up above and saw the face of a dragon, an Ice dragon floating above with its mouth wide open. It flew down right after he noticed it and took a huge step to back away. The ice dragon on the other hand was shattered into pieces the moment it touched the ground. In the first place, the magic that I just used was only to scare him off by using an ice sculpture.
             That worked out well, bluffing really can do wonders.
             I took out the glowing red magic stone in my hand that had turned slowly into a normal rock. I took another three more magic stones to replenish my loss of mana, it didn't reach half of my capacity but it's better than nothing. I used the small amount of mana I had to close up my wound and relieve the pain.
            "Using such a dirty tactic, you must be desperate. As I thought, you witches are nothing but abominations. You know nothing about honour and loyalty, just raking whatever you want." the words from that knight almost made me gack. The whole lot of the Holy Empire burned witches without proving that they are a witch. He stood up from his position and I noticed how he slightly hung his left leg. Did he sprain it when dodging my spell? I guess, that's my luck.
            I honestly would want to use this chance to escape, but pride took over me instead because of the words of that supposed knight. I took the spear that had blown my hand off. I pointed it out to him and made a declaration. "I have one hand and you have a sprained leg, you think you're the honourable one but let me show you what a witch can do, with or without magic."
            He was silent for a moment and I can't tell his expression from his armour. He tightened his grip on his sword and took an unbalanced stance because of his leg. I knew he wanted to fight, he wanted to know the kind of witch I am and I'll gladly show it.
           "My name is Alexander Deus" he said, naming himself. I took up his hint and respond to him, "Claudia Oriente"
            The rain might have helped the two of us cool our heads. From the gap of his mask, I could see his blue eyes eyeing me with hatred and blood lust. I took on his gaze without looking away. I used my mana to enhance the strength of every part of my body. My body wouldn't stand a chance as it is against that gorilla body of his.
            Without anything to signal the first move, we both dashed at each other at the same time. I felt the wash of rain against me as I ran against the wind. I took out the spear and he took out the sword, the sound of metal clashing rings hard in our ears, knowing we both aren't holding back anything.
            We both pushed each other one step back, Alexander thrust his sword toward my face and I slip away by sliding to the side and hitting his sprained leg with the tip of my spear. He groaned but I didn't stop there, I twist my spear so the blade would come toward the back of his neck. He wasn't ready to croak though, he ducked and rolled himself away and after regaining his stance he rushed with his sword once more which I block and had it slide down. I put my foot on to it then used the blunt edge of the spear to hit his side of the head causing him to roll away. He was stubborn in holding on to his sword and made me slip, I staggered two or three steps back but Alexander was already up to aim at my heart which I blocked.  However, with his free hand he punched me in the cheek, hard.
              I slide away from the impact, thankfully I still held on to my spear. Before I could get up, he thrust his sword up at me and I parry again. Having my back to the ground, I was obviously put in a disadvantage, but that still didn't stop me. I twisted my leg around his, making him lose his balance so he'd slip to the side, I followed and now it was his back facing the ground with his sword holding my spear back.
            This time, I have the upper hand, there's no way out for him. I would have kept my big head if a sudden memory didn't pop out at the back of my head between Master and me.
           "Whatever happens, don't forget to have an eye on your back"
            "What's that supposed to mean?"
            "Figure it out for yourself."
            "...and you call yourself a teacher?"
            I didn't know why a random memory popped out of nowhere, so I tried sensing my surrounding and felt someone getting closer from behind. I jumped to the side just as he was about to attack me but instead he stabbed Alexander's neck, killing him in the process.
            The man cursed for missing and took out the bloody sword as he kept his eye on me. That Archbishop didn't even blink an eye after killing his subordinate. "You really are a heartless man."
           "It's all for the cause of justice, he should be glad that he was a help to take care of you, sadly even his noble sacrifice couldn't put an end to an abomination."
            Originally, I wanted to take this chance to escape and honestly I would. Still, my decision could not forgive him, I couldn't let him hurt even more innocent people.
            That's why, I took up my spear and threw it, aiming at his head. Because of the unbalanced throw, not only did it miss he made a long jump to the side, dodging as a result. He made a smirk at my previous spot, but when he noticed I was gone, his face met with a hard kick.
            Kronberg staggered back as he held his nose that was streaming with blood. I wasn't finished and made a punch to his stomach, followed with a knee to his chest. He withhold that punch and tried to cut me with his sword, but with his amateur swing, I easily took a hold of his hand, and because I was angry, not only did I twist his hand to his back, I broke it too.
            He let go of his sword the same time he let out a scream. I shut him up with another strong punch to his jaw. I walked slowly toward him, writhing in pain, he was begging me to spare his life. How laughable, for a follower of God to be begging a so called heresy of his. Thinking he should have enough, I took out a paper from my pouch that had a teleportation magic of its own. I faced my back toward him, thinking it’s finally over.
            "YOU WITCH, DIE!!!"
            I turned around and found him running with a dagger in hand that he must have stuffed in his pocket somewhere. I'd be lying if I wasn't taken by surprise and his blade was only an inch away from me. I acted faster than I could think since I honestly thought I was about to die. Before I realized my own action, I turned his hand around and in result---
            His heart was struck by his own dagger.
            The hand I kept holding was slowly losing its warmth, the widened eyes of the Archbishop looked around and lost its flicker of life. His face frozen at his last expression, slowly his body began to lose strength as it fell to the muddy ground.
            I would have stayed dumbfounded if the sound of several armoured footsteps didn't knock me out of my daze and into reality and with the last bit of mana.
            I bid goodbye to Mainz.

#

When I felt the feeling of distortion was gone, I opened my eyes to find myself in a forest. You'd think most part of the forest look the same, but I knew with just a glance I was back.
             I was home.
            That thought took away my remaining strength and I felt my back leaning on to a nearby tree. I looked toward my missing right hand and made a heavy sigh. I searched through my pouch and found a bottle of cream.
             It was the Regrowth Potion.
            I say potion but it was more accurate to say it's a Regrowth Cream. I took a chunk of brown cream from the bottle and put it where my right hand supposed to be. It didn't took a minute for my hand began regenerating itself.
            Growing out your own hand felt really weird and sick, I don't feel any pain growing it out but it took quite a few minutes before I could regain some sense from it. I used that time to heal out all the nasty cuts and bruises and the rain washed away all the dirt and mud that got stuck on me.
            When I finally felt like myself, the rain had also stopped as well. I thought it was time for me to go home. When I got up, I immediately fell down again, I held on to a nearby tree but my legs felt wobbly with no strength to hold myself up and I felt a sick churn in my stomach. I had thought that the rain had washed blood along with the mud stuck on me, but when I look up at my hand once more, it was as bloody as when I took the life of that Archbishop.
            I took away my first human life.
            My breathing began to become more erratic and I screamed at the top of my lungs.

#

 The shack was only 10 minutes away from where I was teleported. I slowly opened the door, not wanting to wake up anyone at this time. After slipping inside, I was caught by surprise when a candle suddenly lit itself. It wasn't only one, all the other candles lit themselves, one by one around the room and the last two were lit together, revealing the face of the one person I didn't want to meet that night.
            "Ma...Master...you're awake."
             "And so are you."
             I felt my face getting pale from the blood draining, my heart almost beat into a complete stop seeing him sitting on his old sofa with one leg tucked under the other and the glare looked a lot scarier with the candles light next to him. I shivered not just because I was wet from the rain but also from the gaze of his that was filled with anger. I had no excuse so I stayed silent, filling the space with cold atmosphere between us.
            "Where were you?" He said casually.
             I gulped down my saliva, I swear his voice just took out half of my life force. He wasn't just angry, he was furious.
             Even so, I tried to respond to him. "I was out for a walk, tumbled down a few times since it was dark, then---"
              Master struck the table beside him, and silenced me. The table had crumbled but I didn't take note of it, I was too focused on Master as he got up. "Do you take me as for an idiot? Do you think I wouldn't know considering how flashy you were all that time in freeing those convicted sorcerers, and do you think I don’t know that you met with that Owl Face twice and getting involved with their group."
            I blinked a few times, sucking up the words he just told me. "You knew...all of it?"
            "Yes I know, now stop gawking and pack your bags, I don’t want you to stay in contact with any of those people so we're going away. FAR away!"
            "No." Master stopped his tracks with his back facing me, even without looking at his face, I knew he felt shock that I rebutted him. He slightly turned his face toward me, thinking he must have misheard he asked again what I said and I told him the same answer. I waited for any outburst from him but nothing came for a while. The intense silent made a few seconds seem as if it they were a few hours. Master turned around and held my shoulders tight in his arms. I didn't have time to react, not when he looked at me with such a sad expression, one that I had never seen him with.
            "Do you even know what you're getting involved with? You're saying you want to work with people that intends to make war with the Empire. You don't even know what you're up against and you think you could make a difference by making a fight with them?"
            "It's still better than not doing anything at all."
             "And of all people you try to work together with murderers who claim they want to revolutionize sorcerers." Master began to laugh mockingly, "Claudia I know you're better than this, they can sugar coat all of their actions but that does not excuse the fact that they battle for their own selfish needs."
            "That's where you're wrong! They fight for themselves and for others too. I've seen what they're like and I've seen what the church has done to people tonight. They don't care whether they're right or wrong, they only care to show off their strength and put the people in their place and they're using 'us' as an example"
            "So after saving one person you think you’re capable of saving all of them? Don't be conceited, you’re just a child Claudia!"
            "Not when I'm alone"
            Master wiped his face with his hand, looking exhausted. It seems he still had something to say but felt it was useless to say anything to me and kept groaning for a while. I am quite stubborn after all. "You....hahaha....you....are certainly a piece of work" he said exhausted.
            "Master I....do you remember the first time I asked you to make me your disciple?"
            "As if it was yesterday" he said softly, lacking energy in his sore tone.
           "I said to you once. That I wanted to learn magic because I didn't want to deny who I am or how I feel. More than that, I wanted to use magic....to use this gift as something I wanted to be proud to have by helping people. I still feel the same even now"
           I've already made my decision, but saying it to him was a lot harder than I thought it would be, it took every bit of my will so that I wouldn't start crying, but I need to move forward.
            "Which is why this is where we part."
            Master didn't change his expression, again he was silent, sighing that he was very furious, enough to be lost for words. He heaved a heavy sigh before he asked "You honestly think this is the right choice?"
            "I don't know....I don't know....but I do know that what they're doing to people...human and sorcerer alike...I can't tolerate that. So I'll do what I think is best for me." after getting those words out of my chest, I turned around to the door. I knew the moment I left this shack I'd be turning the six years of memory I'd built here and the person who had reach out his hand to me when I had lost everything.
            "If you step out of that door, you are no longer my disciple."
            Those words hit me like an arrow and made me stop my movement, it wasn't fair that he played that card on me, but it was too late now. "Goodbye Mister Rolex, take care of Lisse for me" after bidding with those words, I walked out.
            I walked without much thinking where I was going, the more I walk the more the memories of six years together were rekindling inside my mind, like a precious jewellery being taken out one by one. From the time I first met him, the moment he gave me stitches and bandages from the wounds he gave me himself, the memory where he tucked me into bed when I had nightmares, the numerous conversation we had at dinner, and the first praise he gave me after successfully using my first magic.
            I stumbled onto the group of people clad in dark blue robes. Merlin was there out front with his usual owl mask on, he looked like he was waiting for me, as if he knew me like the back of his hand and of the choices I had made. "Welcome." he said with his deep voice but I didn't take note of it, instead I kept on walking and finally let myself fall to his chest. Merlin must have been surprised but he didn't say anything. I knew that I was acting like a child, but I couldn't contain my emotion as I burst into tears.
            I made a choice and I chose to abandon the closest thing I had as a family.
           



6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I feel this comment should be deleted... Seems like on of those send this to 10 people now or else things

      Delete
    2. I agree on Sylali on this, although you're not doing any wrong, please try to be mindful that this is not a place for it. I hope you can comment purely something about my novel in this blog.

      Just a personal opinion from me, there's no such thing as magic. But spirits do exist though.

      Delete
  2. The comment above was hilarious any case this sudden chapters going back to the past and then back to the future makes me want to @*!€+:*! (This words shouldnt be know by good kids thus the censor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chapter made me sad... Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Claudia ever gonna create potions in modern times?

    ReplyDelete