Friday, November 20, 2015

Chapter 59: The Forgotten Charm

When I opened the door, I had steel my heart for whatever is waiting for me on the other side. Never in my wildest dream thought they would go all the trouble of making a surprise birthday party for me. Strains of color papers and confetti covered my head. I was shock in more ways than one. 
            I blinked a few times before I could process the situation I arrive in. Dean and Kenny  was holding the party crackers Alvin created sparks in the air that said 'Happy Birthday'  plants was flowing out of four pots, entwined with each other and make a wooded tree table. There was a plain chocolate coated cake, with nine candles sitting on top. Surrounding it was the rest of the S Class yet I couldn't spot Foax until I saw a glimpse of his shadow standing at the edge of the rooftop, watching over us from afar. The area was covered with balloons tied up, creating a private room with the balloons as the walls. "Well don't just stand there, go and cut the cake or we can't eat it." Kenny stretched his arm and pushed me from behind toward the table. 
            My feet was forced to strut toward the table, watching the small fire flickering on the candles. Thankfully for these past years, I was able to control my emotion better when it comes to fire, there's also the fact that my job was to blow away fire which I'm happy to do at any time. 
            After I blew it, the rest of them clap and urge me to give out the cake. Rather than doing that, I stared at them for awhile before I could ask what was on my mind. "Why are you doing this, didn't you guys hate me?" 
            "Hate you? Don't be silly, we act like that toward everyone" answered Kenny. 
             "The way you spoke up to that teacher the other day, that was hella cool!" Added Alvin. 
             "B...brave!" Said Morra with difficulty. 
             Again I blinked a few times from their answer, I never thought my actions were something to be proud of, I only stated the facts since his actions were wrong. Carol came up to my side while tucking my coat, she was looking aside with her face flushed red and her hand behind her back. "Tha…thank you…for helping me that day" she said while she gave me my present from her. I felt my eyes bulging out seeing her being polite. It almost sent shiver on my back. 
             In then end, I muster a smile and received the present with gratitude. "I'll take good care of it" I respond. The others also lined up and each prepare a present for me. My heart flutters and joy was coursing through my body. It's the first time anyone gave me a bundle of presents other than from my family or my best friends. I swear in my heart I plan to cherish ever single one of them. 
            They had me sit at the wooden tree chair Morra also made, only it was bigger and more elaborate like a throne. I know they're being nice to me because of my birthday, but this is getting embarrassing. They all began to ask me practically about everything they need to know about me. About my sisters who were famous, the kind of life I had at home, how I shouldn't worry too much about the bullies at school.  All of them were like a different person, or rather, they began to reveal what they were like.  
             Having fun?
             My heart jumped from the sudden voice at my head, I look to my side and I saw Foax, crossing his arms and was smiling at me. "Yes I am, I kept wandering why you want me here, never thought it'd be this. Did you plan it?" 
            The moment I thought they planned all this for me, my heart was touched and the warmth knowing they decided to accept me seeps inside. 
             Did you tell anyone about what happened yesterday? The smile on my face froze and the surrounding laughter was cut off from my ear. My memory recalled the event and I shuddered. No, I didn't. I respond in my thoughts. 
             Good, the kids here are suffering enough being isolated from people. I don't want them thinking they are what people say because more started talking from their back. 
            Then why did you do that? There were other way to handle the situation like calling the adults. Why risk yourself and the others? 
            Foax turns to look at me with subtle eyes. He then turned back toward his friends, and I instinctively follow. Alvin never wanted his ability, there was a time in the hospital that he accidentally discharge electricity, causing a lot of machines malfunctioning, and causing a lot of death as well. Levy, you know that she has the alice in wonderland syndrome, poor girl, almost made all her previous classmates  lost their mind from her illusions and she still hasn't realize it. Then there's also Dean, have you heard his story? 
            I nod at his question, then I tuck oh his shirt so he'd turn to look at me. "What's your story?" 
            My story won't interest you though. 
            "Let me be the judge of that" 
           He kept his smile but I noticed it became a bit forced. . 
             "What did you hear?" 
             A buzzing noise suddenly hitting inside my brain. Various unknown voices as if echoing next to my ears. 
             Creepy little kids, thank goodness they're caged here. 
              I don't even like kids and I have to babysit these little freaks. 
             If I can gain make their ability grow more, I'll have a secure life ahed. 
            What pitiful child, getting this kind of ability. 
            The voices had made it hard for me to breath. My face began to flush and heart was beating rapidly. It felt something had forced its way inside my head and it wasn't a good feeling. 
            Do you get it now? No one in this place could be trusted, barely anyone even treat us kids. 
           "That's not true, you can't let what others thought judge other in prejudice! And making people jump out of a building isn't a convincing way to say they were wrong. You're contradicting yourself!"
             Impulsively, I stood up and raise my voice. The mood dampens as they all stop talking. Foax, however just smirk at me as he send me his thoughts. 
            I'm just doing what I want and what I think it's best for my friends. This class is the only place I have. 
           There were many thought that floated in my head, but one question came out than the other. "Why aren't you mad at me. All I did is kept disagreeing with you, yet you look amused instead."          
             Why would I get mad when you did nothing wrong. I can read your thoughts so I know what you say are things you did in best interest for us…and for me. Besides, like I said, in here—
           You just need to be yourself. 
           A sudden chill at the split thought that came to me from his words. "I'm sorry, I'm going home now, thank you for today, I am more than grateful." I dashed toward the door, run down the stairs, and aim toward the gate of the school. 
            "Claudia, wait!" 
            Just when I was so close to escape and faced the voice I knew belong to Carol. "What happened? We spend a lot of time preparing that party and you're going to leave half through it?" 
            "I'm sorry, I really am, but I absolutely have to go" 
             Carol's blind stare and knit eyebrows made me a little bit guilty, but then she sigh and whispered something to the pigeon she held in her arms and had it fly away. A moment later, it came back with some friends while carrying a bag full of presents. "If you're going to leave, at least bring your present with you" 
          I stared at it for a while, but moving on its own, my arm reached out and accepted it. "Carol, can I ask you something?"
            "What?"
             My throat felt dry as I talk, but I just had to ask her. "You didn't agree with his method the other day, did you?"
             Carol let out a huge sigh, remembering something that seems to be a pain in the ass for her. "J never went that far in the past, his action might not be the best choices, but that's what usually helps and protect us in this class. He also doesn't want anything like what happened with Theresa happen again." 
             "Theresa…who's that?" 
              "……forget I said that, anyway what I want to say is, J isn't a bad person." She said that and left though her last sentence was something I also know well. I look at the bag of present in my arms and looked back up where the kids of S Class is. I remembered my own thought that I hoped wasn't caught by Foax's telepathy. The thought that he might be right. 
            Just from that one thought, I feared I almost repeat the past if I hadn't slap my mind back on track. What was worse though, was the fact he said the words I wanted to hear the most. It frustrates me that my heart was moved because of that, and I hate how I ran away to avoid being taken in. In the end, I went my back from the school and head home. Ignoring the heavy weight I carried that seems getting heavier as I walk back to the bus stop. 

#

Back home. 
           Technically, at the front of my house. My mind was running around Foax's words that I couldn't get it out. I wished inside that things would at least would get better for my birthday, not thinking my prayer was heard.  I was caught surprised when I found Rick there. 
           It left my mind blank to meet him so suddenly. He kept sending gaze at my house until he notices me. "Yo, where have you been?" 
            "Shouldn't I be questioning you, why are you here? I heard you have some errand elsewhere."
            Rick shrugged with a small smile, he walked another step so we were only inches apart. I had to lift my head because of the wide height difference and he seemed to feel amused of reminding me of how short I was. "Since it was done I hurried over here to give you this." He searches through his pocket and gave me a small maroon box. There were no wrappers nor ribbon or even any slight decoration. Just a plain small box. "Can I open it now?" 
             "Go ahead, it's yours after all" 
             The moment I opened the box, I was positive I had forgot to breath. Inside the box was a cross shape charm necklace, to most people they would definitely think it was cheap pendant that had any worth. There were scrapes and scratches all over its silver color, The only thing worth mentioning would be the  ruby embedded in the middle of the cross. 
         I didn't quite believe what it might be so as I look at the back, I found nostalgic words that convinced me this necklace was the real deal that it was the same charm necklace my Master once gave to me. 
           Aeternus.     
           Meaning eternal in Latin. 
           "Dale has been bugging me that I should at least prepare you a gift, I don't know if you like it, but I bought it at an antique shop I know and thought it might suit you. Though if you don't like it, you could put it away for all I care." Before he could say anything else, I jump into him and hug him tight. "It's perfect, it's the best present I could ever ask for so don't say it wasn't much!" I noticed my voice quivered and tears then started tearing out from my eyes. 
             I wasn't sure how I felt, that maybe I felt forgiven, to be remembered, as if this necklace is telling me I don't need to blame myself so much. No words could describe how I feel other than immense gratefulness. Master had always been that way, he knew the right words to clear all my doubt, and eased me from pain. He fill out his role as a guardian and a family to me. Even after he reincarnated, it's as if he hadn't forgotten the promise he made. He is here with me, and will always be. 
            Rick seems to have given in seeing me cry to his chest. So rather than being annoyed or pushing me away, he gently pat my heed and softly said this to me. 
            "Happy birthday Claudia"

14 comments:

  1. Now she is gonna date her master fuck foax claudia x master(rick) otp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you should pray I don't do anything to sink this ship you're hoping *evil laugh*

      Delete
  2. The ship is departing. I hope someone sees them and picks on them. So sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. of course it is, hahaha

      anyway I'm glad you think so :)

      Delete
  4. i just found this series via an obscure way..... i wish this had more....exposure so more could read it.... i just got lucky and found it while hopping from site to site so my suggestion make a post on aho-updates to get them to add your series, and also see if you can get novelupdates to add it and im sure you will get many more readers :D

    I really enjoyed what you wrote so far keep up the good work ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think that way Joseph, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Though because I am a religious person, I don't have any intention on putting more 'exposure' that you might meant unless it's necessary to the plot.

      Also, I really would love my novel being put up in novelupdates or aho-updates but they mostly put up translation light novels so they usually have a board to post original stories which I did in novelupdates.com

      anyway, thank for reading

      Delete
    2. Maybe what he mean is how the site have more publicity and wellknow by the other, not bout 'exposure' like what u think...
      :3...

      Delete
  5. Got carried away playing Kerbal Space Program and only just gotten around to reading this now. (Just did my first orbit around Kerbal)

    The way Foax does things, he'll make more people fear espers. Hope he doesn't end up going the Magneto route!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series.... i found it just after i read Worm.... man this can be sugget to my friends.... Good work author.... i'm waiting for the next chap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    Double surprise in 1 day...
    :3...

    ReplyDelete