Sunday, August 9, 2015

Chapter 26: Black Magic

“Master, what do you mean by the soul?”
            “Exactly what I mean, while other magic useS nature and others as its source, Black Magic uses the darkness of human soul as its source. Greed, Lust, Fear, Despair, Anger, those emotion becomes the fuel of its power. Moreover, if you use your own soul as its source, you wouldn’t need any chant or a magic circle to conjure it since the power came within you.” I inclined my head with my eyes close as I tried to comprehend Master’s words. “That is why Claudia, you must never use that magic!”
            “Why?” I asked innocently.
            “Black Magic feeds the darkness within you, once you use it, it will draw out the darkness inside you until you lose sight of yourself. Not only will you hurt yourself, you might also hurt the people close to you. The worst case scenario, if you use it excessively, it will use out your soul completely and…”
            “I’ll die.” I said that finishing his sentence when I noticed where his tone was getting at. “Because of that magic, people started to calling us Witch,” continued Master. I asked again on what he meant which he answered, “Magician used to be a reverence being and was even called as the Messenger of God. People came to seek us for our wisdom and we would aid them as much as we could. When Black Magic started to spread, people started to question our intention, and with the war going on, the people’s tension rise and put the blame on us for every misfortune that come upon them.”
            My eyes widen, bewildered when I heard the truth of the prejudice hatred on us, I could only look down solemnly while accepting the fact. “That’s why to them and to us, the word ‘Witch’ is a symbol of hatred, ill-fortune, and chaos.”
#

Another explosion echoed the floor followed by a scream of terror. 
            I fell to the floor while gasping for air. I turn toward him and found his hand that was covered with white flame had turned black. He was waving his arm trying to extinguish it, but he could only scream and writhed in pain as the fire burn his arm.
            Well, burning might not be the correct word. All though the black flame was burning him, his arm was still attached and hadn’t lost color. It looks like the fire did no damage at all, yet he kept on desperately trying to extinguish it. I guess the burning pain isn’t enough for him to withstand.
            However, not all those things mattered to me.  After a sudden burst of anger that had welled up inside me, everything went black for a moment. The only thing in my mind was my wished for that man's death, yet why did a black flame suddenly appear, is his power getting out of control?
           Before long, the anger inside me turns to fear. The black flame then violently spread through his body, and he began to roll around the floor without getting tired at screaming. The flame did not only spread on him but also around me. 
            My breathing became erratic and when I tried to turn around and drag myself away....I saw the shadows again. Master, father, Lise, Astrid, Carter, Sister Lisbeth, Old man Mor. Those people were burning at the stakes, yet they weren't screaming, they only stared at me with dead eyes. What did they think of me, and what did they feel when they look at me...because I don't know, I could only guess their feelings, yet the answer never came. 
           Just when it was getting harder to breath, I couldn't stop the tears that came running down my face. The heat surrounding me was intense as my world began to be envelop by flame and I feel I was helplessly holding down my trembling shoulder while curling up like a ball feeling I was on the verge of losing everything. 
            Please..........anyone........help me.............



            Did you call for me Master?


           I look up and saw a familiar face, even with his eyes closed I could see him looking at me with concern. For a womanizing jerk he has tact for sure, to think I would be more than glad that he's here by my side. I'm sorry to act on my own when you're orders is to safely guard the children and take out all information available, but I felt your distress so I came immediately.   
           That's right, getting the children to safety was the priority so I had Hod make sure to guard them until everything was over. I had the police had them on custody so there's no problem on me being here. 
            I smiled in relieve and took his offered hand. The shadows were gone, but the fire still was burning brightly. I rest my head on his chest, avoiding the sight of fire, honestly if I lost focus for a moment, it wouldn't be strange if I lost my consciousness by now. "Hod, can you put away the flames?" 
            That I cannot do. 
            I look up to see his face, half worried, half disappointed. It was a surprise to me since he usually readily do anything for my sake......... after I gave him a beating though. 
            The fire here isn't any ordinary fire, it's something that you created with Black Magic. It's not something one could easily handle especially for a spirit. 
            "Then how do I stop the fire?" 
            You simply need to only wish for it and it'll stop, Black Magic comes from the soul, you just need to wish it wholeheartedly for it to stop. 
            What do you mean I made this fire? 
            Is what I want to ask but right now I only want to erase the fire so badly, I don't want to think anything else. I wasn't sure if the way was that simple, but I closed my eyes and thought of the fire extinguishing itself in my head. There was nothing I wish more than that so the 'wholeheartedly' part should pass. When I feel the heat diminishing around me, I open my eyes and the fire disappear as I hoped. Hod smiled at me knowing I did my best. 
            I turn toward the psycho killer and saw he was barely standing, there were no injuries, but he's probably mentally exhausted. He had a hard time breathing like I was before, his body looked numbed, and he was glaring angrily at me. 
            He was picking up another needle but I had already took out a magic stone. Since I didn't get to check what kind of magic stone it was, I threw it at him, aiming at his hand which hit a bulls eye. 
            Hod knowing what he should do came up behind him and step on his shadow, with this, that man wouldn't be able to move. Without knowing exactly is happening, he tried to lit himself with the white fire, but maybe because he was losing energy, the fire quickly turned into red. When he realized the fire didn't help, he switched with using telekinesis toward the two of us, but unfortunate to you, I had already anticipate that and so did Hod. 
            I might not have mentioned it before, but it's possible to relay information telepathically of image or message to the spirit. That's why, without missing a beat he turned his face toward him, and for the first time since I summoned him. 
            Hod opened his eyes.
            His eyes were jet black like black pearls and when that man looked into his eyes, I knew his strength was leaving him, and his mind was losing control off his body. After that, Hod let go of his shadow and the psycho fell to his knee with a blank face as if he had forgotten his purpose. 
           With that, it was over. 
           It would have been trouble if he had teleport, but it was a good thing I grasped the nature of his power. From my observation, it would have seem he store needles with various serum to allow him to use various abilities for him to use. However, probably because of his brain expansion usage limit, he was only able to use up to two abilities and would unable to use the first ability when another is added. That's why, with that annoying Teleportation Ability gone, I don't have to worry for him escaping. 
           I came up to him and snatched the pouched full of needles. "Hod, can you manipulate his memories and make sure you erase my fight with him?" 
           Certainly.
           I turned my back on him, ready lo leave the place when I stop and added, "Also, make sure he suffer enough that he wouldn't be able to hurt a fly, afterward, dump him outside for the police to find." 
           I told him that with a cold tone and he answered me the same way as before. When I found the stairs toward the exit, I pretended not to pay heed the scream of a poor soul who will forever lost in his own nightmare. 
            Well, forever might be exaggerated, but it'd be long enough for him to lose a few screws in the head. When I reach outside, the sky had told me it was dawn and there was an uproar at the hospital entrance. It seemed the patients were evacuated when an earthquake shook the hospital. Many vans with TV stations logo on them were parked outside, each with their own reporter, reporting their news. 
          I was quite far from them, so I'm glad I wouldn't attract attention this way. Then, my vision began to blur and I stagger sideways. 
            Be careful.
            Again in the nick of time, Hod was there to catch me. As expected, he's fast at his job. You've worked hard Lady Claudia, you should rest. 
            ........that's rare for him not call me master, well, I didn't like it in the first time, calling my name is still a lot better. Just as he said, I'm tired, I still have one last job to do but it should go off in a few moment so I guess we should go back. Looks like I'll be counting on you again Hod.
            Leave it to me. 
             He lifted me on his back and before the sun could rise, he went into one of the shadows. Leaving no trace of us ever being here.

<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                                                          NEXT CHAPTER>>>

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if anyone would believe Beth if she told them she saw Claudia here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hod is such an convenient spirit, I want one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    She near lose herself, good it didn't happen...
    :3...

    ReplyDelete