Saturday, July 18, 2015

Chapter 19: The Search III

Personnel from the factory came rushing just as they were about to go back to their shifts. The scream of a young girl took them in surprise, and came rushing the source of the voice. “Who’s there?!” one of the man yelled, what came to their view was the back of a another man on his knee, he looked like he was in pain so one of them came toward him and asked how he was doing.
            The man on his mid 30s had a thick mustache, with the same light brown colored of his hair; he had evenly part eyebrows, thick lips, straight nose, and a long face. “I’m fine; I just had a sudden stomachache, I’ll take some pills later and I’ll be fine then.” the mustached man stood on his feet while carrying a broom on his right and using his left to hold his chest that has a girl’s school uniform underneath his blue jersey.
            The other man was perplexed why he was holding his chest when his stomach was hurt but instead shift his notice to something else, “Hey, did you hear a girl screaming around here,  we were sure we heard that when we got here.”
            The man gulped loudly and shook his head, “No I didn’t hear any—ah that was probably me, few people do tell me I screamed like a girl hahahaha,” the group of people looked at each other with doubt in their look when hearing his claim. “Besides, what would a girl be doing at the back here where you put out the trash of a small factory?” They all pondered a bit before decided to accept his claim, “That’s fine then, anyway Jetro have you fixed the shooter yet?”
            “Yes, it’s fixed, quite a lot dumb has been piled up.” The man claimed to be Jetro answered. “Then let’s go back, our shift is about to start.” Jetro A.K.A Claudia sighed when she knew her identity was saved and nodded with a twitching smile.
                The spell I just used, the Morph Spell is among the Void Class magic commonly used by all magician in my time by taking an appearance of another person. The use of the spell is simple, but the spell itself is one of the Enigma Spells that magicians had a hard time understanding the concept and never succeed evolving it. 
            Now, when I use the spell, I imagined I was borrowing the information of the DNAs reside in the hair. When I used the spell at my previous life, I felt it was the same when someone was wearing a costume. You know what you’re like but you don’t feel it’s your body, the effect roughly last for two hours, and you can’t use any other magic while you’re maintaining it.
            However, just by understanding that extracting information from DNA via magic was essential for the spell and I felt the effect expanded. I could still feel my mana coursing my body rather than being spent on my form, my body still felt light and my movement felt a lot more natural than I imagined. I also felt the difference of my heartbeat, the odor I emit, and the strength I had in this body.
            At my time, the Morph Spell is one of the most common used spell, but it was still deemed inefficient when disguising in a village. Usually us magician would use Shape Shift Spell to change into our desired features or Aging Spell to manipulate our age appearance, but unlike the Morph spell, you need to do a ritual for that and I don’t have time for that sadly. There are options like using Alchemy to make a potion for it, but ever since coming to this world, I never had the chance to use Alchemy since it was hard getting the desired ingredient such as a frog’s leg or a headless cockroach without getting suspicious eyes.
            When I went inside through the side door, I felt it was a good choice too following them, since you need a key card and a combination lock to get inside.
            It almost showed on my face how surprise I was after taking a good look at the factory’s interior. I didn’t take a good look outside on my broom since I was too focused on the red light I was trailing. While the outside look like a small building facility that had age for a decade or so, the interior all looked brand new as if it had just been polished. Cleaning robots followed us from behind; the halls were pure white, and she went past a few glass walls that showed through the empty lab.
The group of people dispersed to their designate place and I, after reminding myself of my objective, followed the red trail flowing above me. I wasn’t sure where it led me, so without paying much heed to my surrounding, I turned many corners in the maze like structure, went down the stairs twice and stopped when she found herself held back by a shutter that shouldn’t have gone down at such a time.
            The shutter was locked tight, and just when she was thinking on what to do next, a woman came out from the staff room 10 feet away. “Excuse me,” Claudia…..
            “Sorry to bother you, but do you know why the shutter is still not lifted?”
            “Haven’t you heard? Few days ago, we found the remains of a few bodies burned in the incinerator, it created such a fuss and the higher ups immediately locked down the room, so if you want to burn any trash you should do it at the other side of the building.”
            The woman couldn’t have noticed I was frozen the moment she utter ‘bodies’ her other words left my ear before my brain started ticking again. Rather, how come the news didn’t cover this? From the trail I made, without a doubt the bodies there should be the missing children, and yet for the factory to even continue working normally like this.
            Before she could ask her further, the woman had already continued talking after remembering the incident. “It was really a shock since I was one of the people who witness the scorched bodies, they said there were 10 headless bodies found and were all children, creepy right? I felt bad that the least we could do was bury them without reporting. Well, since our factory is operating illegally, I guess it can’t be help.”
            The glasses woman then continued walking after she made a gasp expression as if remembering what she needed to do. I was glad she was the type that likes to blabber her mouth at any person she could get the chance to talk to, but again, when I heard the word ‘illegally’ my brain froze once more.
            Oh yeah, come to think of it, I had passed through a few places in the factory that seemed to distribute parts of guns and other firearms. There were room with tags saying ‘Shooting Test’ or ‘Rifle Inventory’ and so on, but I wasn’t paying them any attention so I didn’t think much.
Even if I stop and did, there’s no way I got involve in something like an illegal firearm factory right? right? right? right? right? right? right? RIGHT?!

<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                                                           NEXT CHAPTER>>>

5 comments:

  1. I didn’t take a good look outside on HER broom since I was too focused on the red light I was trailing.
    I didn’t take a good look outside on MY broom since I was too focused on the red light I was trailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some mistakes as well. You mixed 1st and 3rd person quite a lot in this chapter. Still, good job (^_^)

      Delete
  2. Good Chapter

    So they are suppressing the news? But not suprising if they do illegal things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    Another thing lead to another thing...
    Hmm...

    ReplyDelete