Thursday, July 16, 2015

Chapter 18: The Search II

Claudia Robertson, age 7 and 10 months. I have officially become a pervert.
            Hahahaha, it’s laughable right? For a 7 year old me, to come home from school with a boy’s underwear hiding in my bag, this moment will surely haunt me even in the afterlife. Waiting for midnight, I pretended to sleep on my bed, since my parents likes to watch a late night show; I had to mortifyingly wait for them to sleep while listening to the sound of TV and their night talk.
            Once it was silent, I had to sneak into the yard through my window. The wind was calm that night, although the night was starless, but thanks to the app ‘Your Sky Tonight…’ on my mother’s tablet, I knew the few constellations hanging above right now. Having a phone or tablet is useful; they have an app for all kinds of things. I can’t wait to have one. Due to the so called ‘parenting’ my mother established, no one in our household should have a phone until they reached ten year old. I nag how my friends already have their own, but my mother wouldn’t budge, and she’s usually doting but I guess she could be strict at times.
            Oops, got sidetracked again. Anyway, I brought out the many papers, making sure they were in place, creating a 1x1 meter square. I slit my finger with a razor and draw the magic circle with it. I could use any other tools to draw it, but blood always brings the best result after all. After I finished, I put the certain ‘object’ in the middle of it. Ugh, I definitely can’t let anyone see me here.
            “Now, which star should I ask to, I guess the lion, Leo would be best” I put my hand together and had my index finger half way straight out, it was the hand seal of the lion and chanted with my eyes closed.
[Leo, king of the 12 stars, brightest of the 88 stars, I call upon your forces to light the path of which I seek, lend me the eye to the lost soul and restore the peace of mind in us all.]
           The words echoed the moment it left my mouth, the blood glimmered and the surrounding shook from my mana. The blood slowly left the paper, surrounding my body and dispersed. When I opened my eyes, I saw the trail of red light in the sky, the light should sustain for three days, enough time to find at least the remains of one of three boys.
            The next day, as usual, my father took the two of us to the school gate and as usual, we took our respective path to class. However today, I had impersonate my mother’s voice to notice the school of my absent and used a cloak spell before the gate was closed. I look up and saw the bright red line, “This is the first time I’ve used multiple spells in a row in this world, I hope my mana would last.”
            I took out what looked like a small pen and mutter [Reverse], and the small pen turned bigger until it became a broom. I ride on it, and with just pouring my mana, the magic circle shine at the tip, lifting me up to the sky. “I don’t know what kind of maniac you are, but if there’s anyone who dares to threaten my family, don’t think I’m going to let you off!”
#
I’m sure some of you may wonder why I would need a broom rather than using a flying spell on myself. Imagine the difference riding a bicycle and a motorcycle, then you’ll know the difference.
            I looked down on the ground and saw the multiple buildings, lining side by side without much of a gap, the skyscraper soar the sky that had me amaze every time I see it, how human could achieved with their own hands. I maneuvered between the buildings, following the red trail floating beside me.
            The trail went on for a long time until I arrived at the outskirt of the city, the air suddenly feels heavy, there was a foul smell, and I began coughing. In the horizon, between the hills, a large factory was emitting black smoke. The trail was leading toward it, and I picked up my speed.
            I stopped at the nearest dumpster, and shrank back my broom before I put it back in my pocket. The red light around me was thicker and was within an arm reach in the air, proving the body was close, and possibly the killer as well. I tried to calm myself before I made my resolve. I’m sure you all think having a 7 year old chasing a killer alone is nothing but a fool’s act, probably enough to be written in history I’m sure. However, it’s not like I plan to fight.
            My plan is to find the killer’s whereabouts, if possible his identity, then give notice to the principal as an anonymous sender of that information, and let the government and the police do the rest.
            Hahahaha, did you think I was going to fight? I’m not that reckless, if I am, I wouldn’t be a magician.
            Still, this is the first time I’ve been in a factory, since I’m where the dumpster is at, I can’t judge the place well yet. There was a sound of footsteps coming and I hid behind the tin dumpster. A man came along wearing a blue uniform, probably a janitor. He climbed up the dumpster and with the mop in his right hand poke inside the trash shooter above. He did it a few times before a mass of waste comes flying down on to him, making him slip, fell, and hitting his head.
            He’s not dead is he?
            I crawled out behind the dumpster and tried poking his cheeks while he groans, great at least he’s alive, just unconscious. I pondered for a bit and decided to softly take one of the hair on his mustache and his work clothes. I cast a paralyze spell that should prolonged his state, camouflaged him with a spell, then I ran from the spot.  
            After making some distance where no one was around for sure, I tied the hair on my left pinky, and chanted [Change]. That moment, my body felt hotter by the second, and my heart started beating like a drum beating inside of me. I should have considered my childish body would take too much burden for this spell, it became harder for me to breath as my knee hit the ground and I involuntarily let out a scream.

            “Oi, what’s wrong is anyone there?” there was a voice coming from the corner, and I heard not just one or two footsteps. Damn, someone came already?!

<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                                        NEXT CHAPTER>>>

2 comments: