Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Chapter 29: Unexpected Family Visit

Time flew fast yet so many things happened these days. Uncle Steve came by a two weeks later, expressing his thanks to Beth for her consent. Nothing happened to her at the time thank God, and told us what happened after. We found out the kidnapper was called Jacob, he was wanted by the FBI, InterPol, CIA and many other organizations. That just shows how dangerous he was, but Uncle Steve was more concern on who apprehended him to that pitiable state and tip the police as well.
            Let's hope he'll never find the answer to that. 
            He also told us the police found where they ha confined the children which was the unused third floor of a hospital few blocks away from here. However, the shocking thing that happened was that the whole floor was gone. According to their investigation, the culprit had used some kind of Pressure Bomb. Though what I use resemble more of a large Nitrogen Bomb, but let's put that aside. 
            Though he didn't tell us, I'm sure Uncle Steve had also found a flash disk that the man named Jacob had when they found him. I don't know how important the content I stole, but It must be important enough that he would hid it from us. 
            More time has passed since then, the incident became a thing of the past and was left at the back of the people's memories and finally, I became a third grader. As usual I'm still stuck at Class 1, not that I have much complain since I don't have powers. However, I do have one complaint. 

            "That's great Eric, you were placed at Class 2, which means your rank got up."

              I said that with the biggest smile I could muster, but with his ability, I'm sure he realizes how I really feel. Eric wryly smile at me while holding my hand as he tried to comfort me. Even though I'm the older one, how pathetic that I had a child comforting me. 

             I can't help it. 

            Eric is really the only true friend I had in class, now I will really be alone. It's not like anyone is bullying me or anything, they just feel awkward and secretly annoyed how I, without knowing my own power, gets to be in their class. 

             Just thinking about it makes me want to cry, but it's not like I could hold back Eric, but still....
            "It's okay Claudia, I'm sure once you found out what your power is, you'll raise your rank in no time" 
            Such a kind kid, but Eric, I don't think I'll ever get my powers. I've been thinking why I wasn't able to achieve what I should have like the others, that I might know why I was deemed unknown. 
            It's because I can use magic. 
            If I think of it that way, it explains why I can't become an esper. If my brain expansion is used to wield magic instead of having ESP, then I'll have no choice but to give up being an esper. 
            "It's good if that ever happens." I wistfully said.

#

             Things became a little different at home afterward. Well, there's only one thing that became different. 
            When I got home, I heard the quick steps coming toward me. I saw a shadow looming on me, and I look up to see Galbraith jumping toward me. He succeed on pinning me down on the ground, so much that I could hear his tail wagging around. 
             Usually I'd be happy to have Galbraith getting attach to me, but  not this time. I held the fur on his head and pull him so I could shove his face to the floor. 
          "Didn't I tell you not to show yourself so blatantly, Galbraith is not your body!"
            Galbraith, or should I say something living inside him, was whimpering. No matter how cute the dog is, I won't be fooled, because I know how slick this spirit can be. 
            "Remember, act natural or I won't call out to you for a week Hod."
             The dog bark in respond and went back. I went my way toward my room and heard laughter from the dining room. Curious, I went toward the source of the voice and I found my mother having a great time chatting with another woman who was sitting opposite of her. 
            I felt that she was familiar, but I can't seem to recall. She had black short perm hair, a pair of glasses on, fair white skin, and round nose. She was wearing a white blouse, a long gray skirt and black pump shoes. 
            Our eyes unexpectedly met and I could see her eyes gleam when she saw me. My mother followed her gaze and realize I was home. "Claudia, welcome home, where's your dad?" 
            "Dad forget something in the office so he rushed back."

             Mom sigh while she muttered 'typical'. I turn my gaze toward the other the other person and asked who she was. The two didn't expect me to say this, seeing they were both surprised. "You don't remember me? You were small back then so I guess that should be expected. "
            So we had met before, I'm confident with my memory so I didn't expect myself that I would forget someone. I do feel she was familiar but I can't seem to remember her. 

            Just when she was about to introduce herself. I heard Beth's voice yelling 'Aunt Frey' and rushed to her lap. Karen followed behind and hug her after ripping off Beth from her. "It's good to see you again Aunt Frey, it's been three years." Karen let go of her so she could see her face. The woman called Aunt Frey, caressed Karen's face admiring her womanly features that was starting to show. 

            "I'm glad to know all of you looked well and healthy, and Beth, I heard about what happened, I'm so sorry I wasn't able to be with you." 

            Beth shook her head saying there's no need. Without knowing much who she was. Mother came up beside me and told me who she was. "She's your father ex-wife"

            Talk about throwing off a bomb! Are you saying the one who's in our house and talking merrily with you and my sister so lovingly is my step-mom! 
             I looked at her once more, when she noticed my gaze, she once more smile sweetly at me. Because I didn't know how to respond, I only smile awkwardly. 

            "By the way, I brought you all souvenir, hope you all like what I brought." She said that while she picked up a huge bag, she took out out souvenirs and another until the table was fill with odd gifts. "I had just finished work in Indonesia and bought a lot of interesting souvenirs from there, this one is a local mask from Papua, this one is a local short sword called Keris, although it's fake, this one is a...." 

            While she was explaining her souvenirs one by one, I wasn't able to quite catch her relationship with us. Putting that aside, why have I only heard of her now? Moreover, there's no way I would forget someone so significant.  Somebody please explain!!!!!

            "Here's a gift for Claudia, it's a bross made of pure silver I got for cheap in Jogja, I'm sure you like it." So she said and gave it to me. When she said it was made of pure silver, she wasn't joking. I could feel strong spiritual energy from it. I'd be lying if I said I don't like it. 

             When she hold my hand while giving me my gift, she held me firmly for a moment and when I look into her eyes, her eyes seemed glistened. She's not crying is she? Don't tell me she's that shock that I forgot about her? 

            After a while, she told us she was leaving and left just like that. "Her works made it hard for her to come by now these days, but in the past, from before you were even born, she would usually come over and play with the children." I would have never thought we have such a long history with her. 
           "Mother is that okay with you, since…you know…she's…"
            My mother laughed when she knew what I was getting at. "You'll understand when you're older" she said that before she prepared dinner. 
            Even though I want to retort that I wasn't far from your age but I guess there's no way of saying it.
           Before long, father came back, beading with sweats on his head. When he saw the many souvenirs, on the table, he let out an 'aaaahhh' sound before he asked if Aunt Frey was here. When dinner was ready, the family talked about Aunt Frey and how she had been doing these three years from what she told us. 

          Her name is Frey Owen, she seems to be a famous doctor, enough for her superiors had her send to many places, especially places like small villages and would be a way for at least half a year. 
            I wanted to ask what happened in the past that let's her be accepted in this family, because in a way, that is not an easy thing to do. My father might have read my face because out of the blue, he began to tell us a story. 
            "Me and Aunt Frey dated back in college, we got married right after graduation and we even had a son" 
            Again another bombshell, why haven't anyone tell me about this…oh wait, I'm still 8 years old, they might think I had been too young to know this story. Also, I might have misheard it, but did he just say he 'had' a son?
            "He died when he was only 9 years old, he was unlucky, he had a rare disease and by the time we noticed, it was already too late."
            Silent filled the room and only the sound of dishes being washed accompany the depressed mood. Father didn't stop there, "Our marriage didn't go through well after, we started blaming each other for every single thing, and she would be crying whenever I took my eyes of her. We both know that things couldn't work out so we decided to start a new, I married your mother and your Aunt Frey seems happy getting a high position at her job."
            "I've told this to your sisters so I'll tell this to you. No matter what happen in the past, the fact she's a family doesn't change so I hope you'll treat her as one." 
            There was a strict yet gentle tone in his voice, almost pleading maybe. Even after being separated, father still wanted to accept her as family, and he as someone who once swore to live the rest of his life with her. 
            "I understand" after that, the conversation ended.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did say I'll publish once a week, but it doesn't have to start this week right? 

<<<PREVIOUS CHAPTER                                                                       NEXT CHAPTER >>>

17 comments:

  1. -Mistakes-
    It's like anyone is bullying me or anything,
    It's NOT like anyone is bullying me or anything,
    all though it's fake, this one is a....
    ALTHOUGH it's fake, this one is a....
    My mother laughed when she knew when she knew what I was getting at.
    My mother laughed when she knew what I was getting at.

    I was surprised when I saw this since I didn't expect a new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as usual for pointing it out, I guess next time I shouldn't rush too much.

      Delete
    2. I just pointed out the obvious ones. I tend to ignore the less obvious typos.

      Delete
  2. Umm... By any chance, could it be that you're Indonesian? Hahaha, I should have noticed it sooner! I bet the --an-- on your ID is both the last syllable of your first name and the first syllable of your last name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, scratch that, I mean the second 'a'...

      Delete
    2. Nice guess, that ID happens to be my trademark

      Delete
  3. eh so you're an indonesian?
    nice story you wrote there
    didn't expect it lol
    trying to catch up to the latest update right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you enjoy it and yes i am a genuine Indonesian, was it that unexpected? :3

      Delete
    2. Super unexpected. I should've realised sooner from your ID tho. Your english is really good, you have my respect. I thought you might be from america, europe, or maybe japan or korea. I was born there and I'm still fluent in Indonesian.

      Keren banget karyanya. Pertama cuma iseng2 baca, sekarang ketagihan. Saya juga tertarik tulis sih, tp ga jadi2. Aku tunggu updatenya terus. Belum selesai baca semua sih. Selamat berkarya

      Delete
    3. well i gues it's kind of expected from your writing style as it contains many repetitions
      but yeah it makes sense to indonesian as well lol

      and your chatting style as well
      anyway keep up the good work
      you got new fans to cheer you up
      i rarely comment on site like this but this time the papua just stuck on me lol

      usually i'm a silent leecher not reader 😄

      Delete
    4. I really can't say anything but thank you for your heartfelt support. I'll try my best so you all keep loving the story

      Delete
    5. i hope you can make the story longer for each chapter lol

      i read so fast that it ended in a mere 10minutes pet chapter or so i thought lol

      maybe make it as longer as lms chapter?
      i have more fun reading a long chapter

      Delete
    6. I could try, but usually rather than one long chapter per week, I made several chapters per week instead

      Delete
    7. Jadi kamu itu sebenarnya orang indonesia yah? Waaah, bangga nih orang Indonesia bikin web novel sebagus ini walaupun bahasa Inggrisnya masih ada yang harus diperbaiki, lanjutkan kerja bagusmu! ( ͡~ ͜Ê– ͡°)

      Delete
  4. Thank u always for ur great work...
    ^^...

    Twice the bomb had dropped...
    XD...

    ReplyDelete